[Rovernet] FW: Rover trike

Mike Maher michael.maher at virgin.net
Sat Aug 17 09:09:33 EDT 2013

This is the earliest surviving Rover "Forecar" built in 190/4.

I have abbreviated some ponts I found on the net regarding Rover
Motorcycles.  The forecars were products of the motorcycle department of
what was then the Rover Cycle Company, rather than the car department.

Rover produced motorcycles in 1899, from 1903 to 1906 and from 1910 to 1927.
Having started in the cycle industry, the company first experimented with
power and exhibited a machine at the Richmond Show.

They built a tricar in bath-chair form, with twin rear wheels and the driver
and De Dion engine fitted between them. At the front was a single small
wheel and a seat for the passenger.

·         1901 'Imperial Rover' motorcycles were produced.

·         1903 After a gap of a few years a well-designed machine appeared.
This had a single 2.25hp engine with a mechanical inlet valve and spray
carburettor. The frame had two down-tubes, to increase rigidity, and braced
forks.

·         1904 The engine increased to 3hp and there was also a 4hp forecar
with the option of a water-cooled engine. It had two-stage chain
transmission and included a clutch.

·         1927 The last year of Rover motorcycle production.

By 1904, Rover were producing the 8hp car; this was more comfortable, not to
say safer for the passenger, who on the forecar was rather close to the
accident!  From the above detail, the forecar is a remarkably advanced
vehicle with watercooling, a clutch and chain transmission, (most
motorcycles at that time used a segmented  rubber belt for transmission and
were air cooled.).   It clearly has motorcycle in its heritage and  has a
motorcycle frame at the back, married to two wheels at the front, forming a
tricycle with the seat between.

The forecar at the rally is the only one known and burst a seam in its
radiator on saturday 29th June.  Remarkably this was removed and repaired at
the house of a local enthusiast, who must have a great deal of skill
applying solder and just the right amount of heat to cause it to run into
the joint rather than to melt all over the place.

Hope tht this helps

Mike