[Rovernet] Surplus to needs-P5 Cylinder heads

Kent Kinard kkinard at att.net
Mon Jul 22 11:00:39 EDT 2013

Ben Saunders wrote:
> Hi Kent,
> Will the Westlake Mk IIa or IIb fit on the Land Rover 6 cylinder block?

Hi Ben,
If the IOE 6 in question is a 1967 NAS station wagon with the P4 110
engine, then the answer is "maybe." The 110 engine shared the Mk.
IIc/Mk. III archetecture which included an oil drain-back at the rear of
the head/block. My understanding is that you can use a Mk.IIa/IIb head
on the later block if the drain-back in the block is sealed. Likewise
using the later head on the early block requires some method of sealing
the drain-back in the head.

If the 6 cylinder in question is another model, I would guess that it
would not fit at all, but that answer would require more research. I
think all other 6 cylinder Land Rovers used the P4 100/95 architecture
in which the lifters, lower and upper rockers and pushrods differed from
the Weslake head engines. I would have to check parts numbers to be sure
and I have moved all my manuals out to the shop.

Roverly,
Kent K