[Rovernet] 1970 3500S NAADA original

Steven Dibdin sdibdin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 12:47:58 EST 2013

Yes, I would also say that once you get the hang of how the rear calipers
work they aren't that bad. I have seen poorly rebuilt ones from 'pros'. I
think it's because they aren't the regular design they just rebore and
sleeve, fit new seals and slap a fresh coat of paint on. You have to
replace the serrated wheel and spring to ensure they self adjust, not to
mention making sure the handbrake cable is adjusted as per the workshop
manual otherwise it will hamper self adjustment too.

My P6 never let me down. My modern SAAB, is terrible, I love how it drives
but I'm always nervous about what's next. My conclusion is, it's down to
the car's history. If it's had poor maintenance you'll be playing catch up
(as I am with the SAAB). If it's had attention from the right people it'll
remain reliable. A good example was that when I got the P6 the brakes had
been 'rebuilt and refitted' by a Jaguar shop in the PNW. They were awful! I
rebuilt the calipers, both servos and the master cylinder within 6 months.
They were fine for years after that.

Sure P6's have a reputation, but they have never had the service support
here they have in the UK. I think that's the key. If you have one you need
to build a relationship with it yourself or pay for a real mechanic to
build that relationship for you!

I'll stop rambling now!

Steven