[Rovernet] 1970 3500S NAADA original

Alan Francis partviking1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 14:18:09 EST 2013

Any assessment of the car, 50 years on, is always going to have the benefit
and influence of hindsight. Whilst your comments may have a basis in fact
some are clearly an expression of opinion rather than fact and phrases such
as "the rear end was heavy" "the V8 was gutless" "a complex front
suspension" are surely subjective and dependent on your experience of other
cars it is being compared with.

The car was not perfect, no car ever is, it's level of imperfection is
dependent on the expectations of the observer, a gutless V8 to you was a
breath of fresh air to UK motorists used to a 4 cylinder motor in the car.
This gutless V8 in Mk 1 form had a better 0-60 figure than a 3.4 Mk 2 Jag
and only a second slower than a 3.8 which had another 50 bhp on tap...so by
no stretch of the imagination could it be described as sluggish in
comparison with other similar saloons.

I agree the Ambla and Formica are somewhat 'tacky' but of course by the
time it was in 3500S guise it was no longer a Rover it was a British
Leyland product carrying all the baggage that being a member of that family
entailed, but you did get electric windows, power steering and an air-con
option when such things were still some way off in the UK. Whilst it may
not of been, with hindsight  'right' for the US market it was a genuine
attempt to meet the expectations of the US buyer and in general did
receive, intitially good reviews from the US motoring press in 4 cyl form,
unfortunately by the time the 3500s arrived the pitfalls of trying to
service the motoring needs and servicing requirements of a country
thousands of miles across had taken their toll on Rovers reputation.

It's important you don't forget it was, compared to other automobiles on US
highways at the time safe, very safe, and it cost many US lives to achieve
the safety standards now regarded as the norm. Other cars may have had less
complicated brakes and suspension, simpler rear brakes and a livelier
V8............not much consolation as it folds up around you in a hard
shunt and the steering column heads ever closer to your chest because it
had a non complex front suspension with a rack and pinion mounted low
down at the front.

In the UK Ford still hadn't fitted a brake fluid level warning light in the
1970's and of course the main cause of auto fires in the sixties wasn't
actually fuel, it was brake fluid pouring all over a hot manifold in a
shunt, something Rover also tried to prevent with a flexible plastic
reservoir.

Personally I love em , warts an all, and accept some of the criticism
levied, but I do think you have chosen to highlight the 'faults' whilst
ignoring the positive aspects of the car, or perhaps you genuinely believe
there were none?

That being the case I'm happy to take any NADA 3500's anyone is looking to
off-load........well they are rubbish aren't they. ;) ;)

Best Regards

Alan Francis (partviking)