[Rovernet] P6 Handbrake Adjustment

roger matheson roger.matheson at bigpond.com
Tue Nov 12 06:09:36 EST 2013

Hi Gordon,

If the ajusters in each calliper are working then you should not need  new
pads until they are worn out and the thickness of the braking material is
approaching the metal backing plate.  The purpose of the handbrake cable
ajustment is to fully operate the linkages on the front of each calliper
especially after new pads have been fitted.  If both sets of linkages do not
fully move through there travel then the ajusters in the callipers won't
work correctly.  You can assess  this by watching the linkages move
underneath as an assistant operates the handbrake lever.  Or swop roles if
desired.  Dirt and wear may impede movement. So this is where ajustment of
the cable / cleaning is required.  Assuming the linkages are moving
correctly but no improvement in hte handbrake lever, then the fault is with
the ajusters in the callipers  This can be checked with the hanbrake off and
assessing the gap betwen the pad material and the disk.  It should be
minimal and the pad should be just touching the disk.  If there is an
appreciable gap then clearly the ajusters are not working and you need to go
into the callipers.  If you want assistance with diagnosis then happy to
help

Roger in Oz.