[Rovernet] 3 Litre V8 for sale in US

Kent Kinard kkinard at att.net
Tue Nov 12 09:35:07 EST 2013

Hi Netters,
Here we go again.  The carb on this engine is an Edelbrock, probably
500cfm.  Gross is correct about the Jetfire being the Olds turbocharged
model.  My swimming coach bought a new 1963 Jetfire four-speed and took
me for a ride.  That's how I became hooked on the aluminum V8 at age
16.  I bought both Jetfire and Skylark cars in 1974 and I still have
some Jetfire parts.  Which brings me to the point.  If the Olds
performance was inferior, Gross, why did TRACO choose to build the Olds
version for their Can-Am engines?  Aftermarket stuff usually fits both
engines...intakes, headers, ignition, camshafts, so there is no
indication of inferiority from aftermarket development.  Mickey Thompson
chose the Buick version for his Indy effort, but he quickly realized the
limitation of the Buick head bolt arrangement.  I must admit, the intake
ports on the Thompson engines were huge.  Bigger than anything I have
seen on a Buick/Rover engine since.  I once owned one of his four Weber
cross-ram setups.

But now you've got me curious.  I'm going to go pull a set of Olds heads
off the shelf and compare the ports to the Buick/Rover ports.  If anyone
would like to play with the Jetfire turbo setup, I have one and it will
fit on the Rover.  All it's missing are the water/alcohol tank and the
exhaust manifolds.  It is really quite obsolete and the turbo scrolls
backward compared to modern turbos.  The only really useful piece for
anything other than restoration is the intake manifold.  It has an
extremely low profile and could be adapted to a Holley 2V carb, if
anyone needs a really low bonnet for some custom installation.  A
mid-eighties Buick GN turbo could be used with a 2" SU in a draw-through
installation, but it would be much simpler if you had the Jetfire
right-hand exhaust manifold.

Olds used bigger valves (but not by much).  The biggest difference in
the heads, other than head bolts, is in the shape of the combustion
chambers.  Buick used a semi-hemi fully machined chamber, whereas Olds
used a conventional wedge chamber much like the heart shaped chambers
currently in vogue for high performance Rovers.  Ian Richardson's
Wildcat heads have provision for eighteen head bolts because he did cast
some Olds style blocks with the extra bosses on the deck surface.  I am
not sure if the new T/A heads have such a provision, but their V6 heads
and blocks do.  I just can't see the Olds ports being very restricted by
the extra head bolts, but I am going to take a look on Thursday.

More later...

Roveroverboostedly,
Kent K.