[Rovernet] 1970 3500S NAADA original

Vern Klukas vern at inkspotco.com
Wed Nov 6 15:39:41 EST 2013

On Nov 6, 2013, at 12:03 PM, phing at videotron.ca wrote:

> Subjective ,Moi??
> As a long time Rover nut I bought my P6 in anticipation , I sold it with relief
> My comments are based on my " experience with other comparable cars of the era" '
> Have you ever stripped out the complete P6 rear suspension ?? It IS Heavy and is  not a  particularly clever piece of engineering  ;

Many, many times. It’s about half the weight of a comparable live axle car, which for the time of design was the standard to improve on.

> The front suspension IS complex , most people managed with a Macpherson strut or double wishbones  rather than a mass of ironmongery to transfer the loads into the bulk head

Actually, the front suspension is just a folded MacPhearson strut. The P6 engine bay really was designed to accommodate a turbine (even though it was pretty clear by then turbines were years away from a practical standpoint) which forced the choice, and then further (bad) choices about the location of the lower links turned into the overly complex arrangement that actually magnifies the shortcomings of MacPhearson strut systems.

> Like it or not the NASA v8 engine IS gutless, this combined with the incredible weight of the P6  does not produce a performance car

Not the engines fault, but Rover’s for adding the 800 lbs or whatever to the NADA car. Which is why I’m not really interested in one, I’ll stick with the 4 cylinder cars.

> The P6B was the last hurrah of a long serving team of ROVER engineers ,  the Leyland bean counters weren't let loose until the SDI was born .
> Volvo and Mercedes and others  were selling ship loads of well built, safe , reliable cars into the NA market at the same time as Rover were shipping unsold P6Bs back to Solihull .
> Patrick

Yours
Vern

Inkspot Type & Design	250 864 5619	in at inkspotco.com