[Rovernet] SD1 gearbox in my 3500S P6

garrett bourque gbbourque at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 23:27:39 EDT 2013

Hello Bill,
  I have performed the P6B 3500s to LT77 5 speed conversion twice.  Once in
my own car and once for a customer.  Getting the clutch pedal to do it's
job is a difficult task due to the limited space available for the pushrod
and master cylinder.  The clutch should be able to be disengaged all the
way with the pedal.  Make sure that the flywheel is smooth if you do change
your clutch parts.  These checks will allow gears to be selected quickly
and with the least trouble for the gearbox. The detents for first and
reverse are quite close together.  I am not sure if there is a good fix to
do for this. It is easy to select reverse instead of first and surprise the
person in back of you at a red light!
   There are varities of manual transmission fluid with different low
friction additives. These should be used, but if syncro  rings are worn in
your gearbox from high mileage, parts replacement is the best solution. I
use oil one that GM makes called syncromesh transmission fluid.  Redline
brand oil, as you mentioned, also makes similar products. Keep the oil
thin, but you could try adding an additive that allows the syncro rings to
grip more easily during a shift.
   A most knowledgeable man about these transmissions and Rover V8s in
general is Woody Cooper at the Wedge Shop in Raynham, Mass.  He uses these
transmissions in performance enhanced TR8 cars.  You could get another
manual trans, a core, get it rebuilt and then have it all ready to swap
into your car, to eliminate a lot of down time during a rebuild.  As a
helpful note, I also shorten the shift lever to some extent, to your taste,
from the original SD1 length.  This makes for a nicer feeling shift lever
and less movement required.  Good luck with everything!  Garrett Bourque