[Rovernet] Hello? Is this thing on - P4/P5 diff backlash

Fletcher Millmore gofanu at cust.usachoice.net
Sun Sep 29 12:43:27 EDT 2013

Alan-
"...significant rear axle backlash, what is the likely cause?"

If the axle is not noisy, then the cause is likely NOT anything to do
with the crown/pinion or their bearings.
There will rarely be any actual wear on the main gear teeth, if the
thing was not run without oil. In that case, the gears are usually
beyond hope, and noisy. .

The usual reason for excessive slop in the works is wear to the thrust
washers on the actual differential side and planetary gears - the small
gears in the middle of the unit.
There are flat bronze washers behind the gears the half shafts fit into,
and spherical ones for the planetary gears on the pin in the center.

  It is possible on most diffs to replace these without interfering with
the main critical settings, and sometimes without even removing the diff
from the axle. I recall doing a number of LR ones, but not how I did
them. You need to figure out how to get the pin out that the planetaries
are on; it it usually retained by a taper pin driven in through one end.

I reckon it would be easiest if the washers, and possibly the cross pin,
are LR parts - as they may be, but: There is a remarkable amount of
cross fertilization between axle manufacturers and designs worldwide
(because it it such a specialty and involves lots of patents and
licenses), so it can be worth trying to match up bits at a knowledgeable
diff shop.

FRM