[Rovernet] Using a Tach with CD ignition

Franc fab at stunnedbuffalo.com
Fri Dec 19 14:36:47 EST 2014

On 19/12/2014 19:12, Dermot Harvey via Rovernet wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I just fitted an Archerkit/Delta Mk10 Capacitve Discharge ignition to my 1971 TC2000. The system works OK but plays merry hell with the tachometer!
> I managed to dig out the assembly manual, but the hookup for Tachometers is in a separate booklet!
> I know someone did this conversion in the last year or so, but cannot find it.
> I would appreciate any help.
>
> Merry Christmas everyone.
>
> Dermot Harvey

    Hi Dermot,

    Yes, I'm still a lurker on here - I just don't often have anything
useful to contribute, not owning a Rover (other than Land Rover) any
more. This is a good opportunity just to say hello... ;-)

    A brief search online for the Delta Mk10 suggests it's not advanced
enough to be a multi-spark (MSD) system - if it was the tach problems
might be compounded, but it seems to be a simple CD type which works
with the standard points.

    Is your tach connected to the points or the output of the CDi unit?
Either way, it may perform better connected to the opposite! Some tachs
work with the high-voltage pulse from the back-emf of the coil, others
just monitor the switch from 0-12v. Some odd ones (and I'm not familiar
with the TC2000, so don't know what sort it has, sorry!) work on a
current loop in series with the switched output to the coil. If you have
one of those, I would think it would work best on the output side, but
the wiring alterations may be a bit complicated if it's not there
already - you would need the schematic to determine what you have.

    Hope this helps. Likewise, Merry Christmas everyone!

    Cheers,
       Franc.

--
       AMMWWMMA