[Rovernet] Reflections on the need for more cans (was NADA 3500S Servo)

Ben Saunders bsaunders at firstva.com
Fri Jan 10 09:39:34 EST 2014

Hi Kent,
This reminds me more of "Stop in the name of love".

Sorry to hear that you have been down and hope you are back in action soon
but do take it easy and give yourself a chance to fully recover.

As for the 7" v s 8"cans I looked at using the 7" first but then discovered
that the left inner fender on 3500S was built with the holes to mount the 8"
booster on that side as well. The 8" for the 3500S has the studs on the
opposite side from the 7" booster and should bolt right up with little or no
alterations necessary. I have seen where the 8" booster is used on the right
in the UK with the same style cylinder as the 2000 on the single line brake
system. All I want to do is duplicate the 2000 TC system but with 8"
boosters to try to get rid of the long air/vacuum travel time that I feel is
at the bottom of the response problem. There are some magazine articles I
have read on the 3500S from the UK of test results on the car new that
remarks on the poor response of the brakes both in applying them and
releasing them. Like I said this is a design problem and I do remember that
I was quite impressed in the 2000 TC's stopping capability over the 3500S
some years back when I had both. At the present time I am using the 2000
7"style remote booster on my 1960 P4 100 in place of the original and it
works well. I also used the same on the P3 but have yet to road test it to
see how it preforms. I may have to go up on the cylinder size on that one.
Now that I think of it I might want to go to the 8" boosters for both of
them as well although I will have to watch out for over braking the P3 with
its' narrow tires.
Cheers,
Ben