[Rovernet] P4 in Montreal

phing at videotron.ca phing at videotron.ca
Thu Jul 17 12:30:03 EDT 2014

Bo
The Rover is on the other side of Montreal , given it’s condition 5 years ago I’ve chickened out of a day stuck in Montreal traffic to see it , but I’ve spoken to the vendor .
Speaking as a restorer of lost causes , this car was well  beyond economic rescue 5 years ago . It might  just  have been possible for an optimistic  masochist with very  deep pockets and infinite time to do something with the car, which had been sitting outside for 10 years in Montreal .5 years of additional  sitting outside has not improved things
In summary : the interior is trashed ,  the remains of the  seat frames might be a useful pattern  , the engine was left  in the open with out the cylinder head ,The floors are gone , all the body panels are badly rusted , the wheels have rusted at the bottom , most  of the instruments, lights  , electrics and any thing detachable  have been scavenged , All the remaining chrome is badly rusted  The Cyclops 75 filler for the front grill has gone .
Some of the glass may be salvageable and the early P 4 trunk lid could  perhaps be rebuilt .
Sadly its a rare car, with little value even if it was a pristine example .The cost of restoration would be astronomical. I think the best fate would be to strip it of all useful parts , the gear box and axle might be OK if excavated; and send the remains to the Great Recycler in the Sky
Cheers
Patrick