[Rovernet] SD1 Advice and ECU

Fletcher Millmore gofanu at cust.usachoice.net
Mon Nov 24 15:43:25 EST 2014

I think it is likely a waste of time. If the engines are identical, the
fuel requirements and therefore the ECU should be as well; if they are
different, there is little reason to believe that the UK unit will be
correct for the US engine. Might be some slight improvement in
driveability under some conditions if the US unit is optimized for
emissions, but these usually have little effect on power once to
temperature. I can't imagine that any piece from a totally different
engine, eg Jaguar, could possibly be right for the Rover engine.

More on the TPS: on a 3.8 Ford Taurus, I found that the TPS was causing
bizarre and random idle characteristics, apparently common but cause
unknown to most Ford dealers and owners. When I replaced it, I gained
about 20-25% fuel mileage (from 27 up to 33mpg in daily use) AND power,
and the autobox shift points all corrected and stabilised themselves,
for a great improvement - cost $28 and 5 minutes to change. I've had
similar results on a couple of Mazdas on the TPS too.  I also found a
bad knock sensor on one Taurus, and that also had a great effect on
performance and economy (not all cars have knock sensors).

FRM