[Rovernet] posting 1970 Rover 3500S P6 need installation advice

garrett bourque gbbourque at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 00:22:30 EDT 2014

Hello Scott, John and Rovernet,
  I just finished reinstalling my 3500S replacement Pilkington windscreen
for the second time last week.  I used the reproduction seal, acquired from
Wadhams 15 years ago, for the second time.  One bit of advice I can give is
do not use WD40 as repeated exposure of it to the rubber breaks down the
rubber.
  I put the seal in the windshield opening in the car and introduced the
glass into it by using the windshield's bottom retaining bar, and lifting
it into place by hand.  Lube does help, maybe something that is silicone
based, that will leave the rubber alone.  As the glass is raised up, use a
plastic glass/rubber gasket pry bar to make sure that the INSIDE flap of
the rubber windshield gasket is laying flat and not binding the glass along
the top side of the windshield.  A few extra washers help with the nuts at
each glass lifting bolt.  It is also an easier job if the bonnet is
removed.  Good luck with the installation. Regards, Garrett Bourque