[Rovernet] Diagnostic help please

James Pile jpile1 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 10 14:03:08 EST 2015

An often-heard rear thump can come from a universal joint that's on it's way out.With the car on a lift, "wiggle" (technical term) the tires to discover any play, rather than sticking, in any of the ball joints. That's the only rear thump I've experienced  in the past 40+ years of Rovering. But that's the obvious analysis. Perhaps there are other owners that will give you alternative things to check, but your brief description of the problem does fit the suspect ball joint.  The rear caliper is a whole different matter.

	Good luck!

		Jim Pile