[Rovernet] 2000 TC wire wheels

Scruggs Family gjkzscruggs at verizon.net
Mon Mar 2 12:54:43 EST 2015

For a short period of time about 30 years ago I had a right-hand drive
2000TC with wire wheels.  While towing the car across country the left rear
went flat, luckily, within sight of a planned stop.  The large hex nut
wouldn't budge and the intended nut wrench immediately bent.  To make a long
story shorter... I ended up standing on a cheater bar which was fitted on a
36" pipe wrench to get the nut loose.  My 200 lbs on 5 feet of a lever arm
works out to about 1,000 lb ft of force required to break the nut loose.
There was a sudden 'snick' then the nut could be turned by hand.  No, the
threads were not rusted and in fact were nicely coated with Kroil
penetrating oil that I had sprayed from behind the wheel.  I have no idea
how the nut became that tight.  Completely outdone with the wheels I let
them go with the car but later regretted my decision.  Were I to have
another set I would quickly get a real socket to fit the wheel nuts.

Gross Scruggs
Annapolis, MD