[Rovernet] P6B final gearing

Scruggs Family gjkzscruggs at verizon.net
Mon Mar 2 18:39:01 EST 2015

Hi all/Kent,

I know of maybe two instances where someone put a 2000 diff in a 3500 and
both times they succumbed to the extra torque and left a trail of gear parts
on the tarmac.  The stiffening ridges on the side of the 3500 diff are not
just for looks.  I have an email friend who is a policeman on the north end
of New Zealand's North Island that has a significantly modified 3500...
Toyota 5-spd, Holly 4-bbl, better cam, larger front sway bar, relocated fuel
tank... and he was interested in a more favorable ratio for his club track
events.  We chatted for a few weeks and he finally installed the gears from
a 2000, 3.54 I think it was, into the 3500's stiffer case.  I don't recall
what he had to do but seem to recall he made some sort of spacer such that
the gears were correctly aligned.  When we last corresponded the new diff
was still in service and operating quite well.  I'm not certain how one
would adjust the speedometer to account for the difference in ratio.

I went the other way... my '67 2000TC has a 3500 diff with the 3.08 ratio.
Yes, it's slow in first gear but third is endless and top speed is not just
"106 mph."

Gross Scruggs
Annapolis, MD