[Rovernet] SD1 redux, apologies to Robert

LANCE LA CERTE PSY D lacpsyd6 at msn.com
Fri Aug 26 18:40:54 EDT 2016

First, it is obvious that Robert and others (Kent in particular) took umbrage at my comments.  For that I truly apologize.     I appreciate how much time and energy Robert put in to his SD1 to get it sorted out, and I suspect it is indeed a very nice ride.  That being said, despite being a P6 owner, I grew up in Los Angeles, where there is an abundance of Rovers (unlike the dearth in Colorado where I now reside).   I had the opportunity to drive/ride several SD1s, and none of them rose above the moniker 'monstrosity'.
I've provided some extracts from an even more extensive article http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/cars/rover/sd1-rover/the-cars-rover-sd1-development-history/   on the SD1.
Autocar magazine reported on its Rover 3500 automatic, which it ran for a year and 11,900 miles: ‘The most disappointing feature about the Car Of The Year was the sad lack of quality control during building and the minimal pre-delivery inspection. Most major fault was a gap between windscreen and pillars, which allowed in rain and draughts. Hatchback door was badly fitted, and the front doors were re-hung and adjusted to get them to close properly and to cut down wind noise. The general fit and finish was also poor.’
The weekly also disliked ‘the sadly cheap sounding clang with which the doors shut – most inappropriate for a car of this class.’
Car magazine ran a similar specification SD1 for 20,000 miles. The vehicle suffered from numerous defects. The magazine added: ‘The finish in the boot annoys us to; it is carpeted, but looks more like a DIY job than something stemming from Britain’s most modern car factory…The latest bit to go on our car is the plastic cowling under the drivers seat which just fell to bits… It needs and deserves to have silly things like the wind noise eliminated, it should have a more appealing dashboard and better instrumentation, the feeble plastic bits should be replaced by good quality fittings and the cabin would benefit from more attractive upholstery.’
Autocar also ran a 2600 automatic. One of its journalists wrote: ‘Little things saddened me; the way the fascia and instrument binnacle covering PVC material is crudely creased and stuck down at corners, the doors shut at a certain tinnyness not found on cars that cost half as much… Without a partial respray the bodywork would now be very tatty. Rattling noises from the hatchback area indicate a degree of poor breeding in a car of such good looks and distinguished pedigree.’
So,  that's where my apology ends relative to the SD!.   Bache had some great ideas, and obviously the V8 was (and still is) a great engine, but when  BLMC was in chronic chaos and pushed a car to market so poorly made, there is no comparison to the far lesser amount of work it still takes to sort out a P6.    The interior alone, especially with Ambla upholstery is far more sturdy than the cloth interior and cheap plastic which filled the cabin of the SD1.   Most every one of the SD1 owners I knew in L.A. complained about almost every electric switch in the cabin being toast.     Clearly Lucas is the Prince of Darkness, but the electrics in my P6 never needed the overhaul an SD1 needs.  Of course we can nitpick all day, but despite the difficulties of installing rear brake pads in the P6, there is no excuse for an "advanced" car such as the SD1 to have thrown out the DeDion rear suspension and then outiftted it with rear drum brakes!!!!   Really?
If nothing else this has created a spirited exchange.  Again my apologies to anyone who was offended, but I for one appreciate the ability to agree to disagree.  I will never tell anyone there comments are inappropriate or uncalled for, especially when the subjective criticism is about an inanimate object.   I will vociferously condem anyone who makes inappropriate personal comments.
Touche'

Lance La Certe, Psy.D.
Belief is so often the death of reason