[Rovernet] Conversion Components kit.

Steven Dibdin sdibdin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 13:01:42 EST 2016

HI James,

I did the HIF6 conversion. Couple of observations on results are:

- You need to beef up the heat shield below the carbs. I used 3mm thick
self adhesive heat shield material. Its a metalized glass cloth with a high
temp adhesive backing. Before that as soon as the ambient temperature hit
88f the float chambers would boil with the fuel here in NJ (`5-10% ethanol
here lowers boiling point I think). Since adding the material it's been
fine in +100f temps.

- Much easier to tune at idle. I think its because with the smaller venturi
you get a higher air velocity making for a better fuel air mix going into
the engine.

- After about 3,000 miles the tune seems to be staying on point.

- The mid range response is much improved, cruising seems smoother too.

- Hard to say on fuel consumption. I fitted the HIF6s when I fitted my
2200/2000TC engine. I would say I average about 20 mpg pottering around
town. About 22-24 mpg on the highway runs at around 70-75 mph if that
helps.

- If you can get a 2200TC airbox, use it. I found the pancake filters I
fitted first were a little loud on induction noise. I think they also
disrupted airflow going in and sucked in air from above the exhaust
manifold. Not only was the 2200TC box quieter, I noticed an improvement in
power and economy.

- Idle seems smoother. Hard to tell as I also reset the tappet shims and
that made for a much improved idle.

- If you can find an original 2000SC choke cable, it will work with the HIF
setup. I couldn't and went for a universal choke cable. The return springs
on the HIF6 carbs are much stronger than the HS8s and with the added
friction of the TC setup I couldn't get a reliable setup.

- I designed and machined my own 'see-saw' throttle adapter to connect a
throttle cable to the accelerator linkage. It took 3 revisions before I
felt I had a nice throttle response and driveability. Now she feels pretty
sprightly but doesn't feel too aggressive. I also found a dirt bike
throttle cable on Amazon that worked nicely with my system. If you like I
can send you drawings/CAD files for the adapter.

Other things worth doing before fitting the carbs, check the floats. I've
had one old float and one new float leak and sink on me. Apparently its a
well known failure point. Make sure the o-rings for the enrichment valve
are in good condition, otherwise you'll be chasing fuel mixture problems
all over the shop.

I think its a worth while conversion. Mid range response is a lot better.
Bottom end torque is nicer too, make for a very relaxed drive in suburban
traffic. Hill starts are where you really notice a nice dollop of torque
pulling out into traffic.

Best,

Steven