[Rovernet] Transmission help, please

LANCE LA CERTE PSY D lacpsyd6 at msn.com
Wed Feb 17 20:52:10 EST 2016

1970 P6B      Rebuilt BW35 with about 1,500 miles since rebuild. Transmission (never my favorite to begin with) ran just fine except for the perfunctory 'clunk' downshifting from 2nd to 1st.  Ran across RCCC article and discovered after all of these years that I was apparently using the wrong ATF----Had been using Dextron/MecronIII (apparently even in the rebuild by the mechanic).   Article indicated I need an F Type (i.e., Ford, pre 1977) as this would make all of the difference.
Since replacing with the F type ATF the transmission is slippery as hell.  The biggest shock was that the  "clunk"  was almost gone, BUT, any attempts at acceleration from a stop, the engine would just spin, then lurch into gear.   After about 15 minutes of driving shifting was pretty normal, but it feels like the car has no torque and takes its sweet time getting up to speed. The shifting from 1st to 2nd to 3rd seems to happen very quickly.
I'm wondering a variety of things  1) Do I need to make 2 more complete flushes of the tranny to get all of the Dextron out (as noted in the RCCC article) before I do anything else?
2) Over the years I and several mechanics have tried to 'cheat' the clunk by adjusting the downshift cable.    Do I now need to think about re-adjusting it because the fluid is 'correct'
I'm just shocked at how a different transmission fluid can make such a difference, but am clueless about how to correct my new problems.  I was really spooked by the RCCC article when it indicated that not running the F type would result in early tranny failure.   I feel like I'm heading for failure right now with F fluid.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lance

Lance La Certe, Psy.D.
Outside of a dog, a person's best friend is a book.  Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.