[Rovernet] Rear Main engine seal issue

Glenn Malme nash4744 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 19:19:36 EST 2016

John
I have always been reasonably successful replacing just the lower half of
the rope seal that fits into the bearing block. You mentioned doing this
but with too negative of a slant.  This can be done with the engine in the
car by simply removing the pan. Wash out the pan while you have it off also
and reinstall/properly torque with a new pan gasket.   I had several P6Bs
back in the late 70s that had rear main leaks and replacing the the lower
half will greatly reduced dripping for not much expense and effort. It's
worth a try.  Also as Geoff said, the rope seal for the 61-63 Buick 215
V8 is the same thing and readily available.
Glenn Malme