[Rovernet] 3.5 to 3.9?

Kent Kinard kkinard at att.net
Mon Mar 7 20:11:02 EST 2016

Geff,
A 3.5 converted to 3.9 is a better engine than a stock 3.9 if you use
thin aftermarket sleeves instead of factory sleeves when you overbore
the block.  The thinner sleeves leave more meat in the cylinder walls.
Use 9.35:1 pistons.  This assumes that your 3.5 is in good shape with no
"disappearing coolant."

I do not like big cams on the Rover V8 as the base circle of the cam is
small.  Most cams with higher lift require stronger valve springs and
these cause more rapid lobe wear.  If you can find a cam with near stock
lift and more duration that will help.  The ultimate solution to cam
problems comes if you have $2k.  That will buy you an hydraulic roller
lifter cam from The Wedge Shop...custom ground to your specs.

Larger valves and head porting should come before a bigger cam.

The stock ignition systems on Rover V8's are uniformly bad and cease to
function at much over 4000RPM.  An aftermarket distributor, properly
curved and timed, and a high performance coil will really wake up the
stock engine.  For instructions as to how to wire the aftermarket
ballast resistor to your SD1 with Lucas 4CU injection, read the related
info at: http://www.team.net/TR8/tr8cca/wedgelab/
NAS SD1 engine, injection and ignition are identical to  TR8.

Roverly,
Kent K.