[Rovernet] SU dashpot oil

Tom Rymes tom at rymes.net
Tue Apr 11 08:51:54 EDT 2017

Rovernetters,

While tending to various bits on my 2000TC, I checked the oil in the dashpots of the SU HD8s (yes, HD). It seems awfully thin, and perhaps low, too. The maintenance manual says to put 20W oil in them, but I usually put 20w50 engine oil in my other British cars.

I know that Rover SUs are often different in some subtle ways than other SUs (piston shapes, etc), and I know that this engine has a lot more carb on it than others of similar displacement, so I thought I'd ask if there is a consensus on what oil to use.

Many thanks,

Tom