[Rovernet] 3500s brake saga

magnet at ican.net magnet at ican.net
Mon Aug 3 13:56:18 EDT 2020

Hi Peter,

I've gone through the P6B brake experience too...

One thing I remember was that one of the "new" TRW master cylinders I
fitted came without a gasket between the cylinder casting and the air
valve housing.  This let air slowly into the "controlled " side of the
servo vacuum chamber and thus prevented the brakes from staying released
fully.

I also had a problem with a vacuum hose that got soft when it got hot,
and partially collapsed under vacuum, keeping the vacuum from getting to
the controlled (front) side of the servo diaphragm, preventing the
brakes from releasing promptly when one took one's foot off the pedal.
I'm sure you used proper vacuum hose -- fuel hose won't cut it.  I was
unable to find vacuum hose of the correct size, and had to use copper
tubing.  This was a PITA to bend, but certainly has made the brakes more
responsive.

I don't know if the kink you mention in the reservoir hose would be
enough to prevent over-pressure in the system from sending fluid back
into the reservoir, but, again, hoses get softer when hot and the kink
might get worse when hot...

I'm sure you've checked the amount of free movement at the master
cylinder push rod with the brakes released... To some extent this is a
function of the  thickness of the gasket between the m/cyl and the
casting it mounts on, but I rather doubt this is the problem, as I can't
see how it would be temperature dependent.  I'd still look for ways that
air could leak into the vacuum control circuit.

Good luck, keep us posted on how you get on!

Cheers,

Bill  Daddis