[Rovernet] SD1 Rover brake servo compatibility

Glen R Wilson gwilson at quakertech.net
Mon Dec 7 15:42:50 EST 2020

On 12/7/20 2:52 PM, geffandjulie--- via Rovernet wrote:
> Super Sabres

...And Geezer talk...

Geoff,

That's impressive. The F-100 was a beautiful beast, but I gather they
could be tricky to fly with some quirks that could catch you out without
warning. You must have been good or careful or lucky or all three.

I bought a new house recently that was built in 1900 and has a number of
interesting original bits still attached like a pocket door and an
ingeniously basic toilet paper holder in the basement water closet. When
raking the leaves behind the garage, I came up with a vacuum tube that
appeared to be from a tv. When I went to work for GE Medical Systems in
1982, they gave us all those orange vacuum tube cases with the hinged
tops the tv repair guys always carried just to store our spare parts in.
There were still some things that only vacuum tubes could handle in
1982, and there were a couple of really old systems still out there in
the weeds. There was one that had some kind of Kemtron vacuum tube as a
rectifier in the high voltage transformer tank. Part of the
troubleshooting routine was to take the cover off and check to see if
the filaments were glowing. They were a weird red color like burning embers.

Of course, x-ray tubes (where the x-rays come from) are still vacuum
tubes which have been refined over the years but have not really changed
in their fundamental design. I was at the dentist the other day, and
could see the x-ray tube filament glowing orange when they took the
x-rays. You wont see that in a standard x-ray tube in a hospital because
there are aluminum filters between the patient and the tube filament. At
higher KVPs the aluminum filters out radiation that would contribute to
radiation dosage without yielding diagnostic information and also reduce
the image quality. Dental x-rays are such low dose and KVP that the
filtration is not necessary. Last bit of vacuum tube rambling is that we
used to have vacuum tubes a little smaller than a gallon of milk that
were tetrodes with a massive copper base. They were used for high speed
switching of the voltages going to the x-ray tube in cardiac
catheterization laboratories. When they went bad the whole department
stopped. Through a paperwork error, I ended up with a spare I carried
around in my trunk so that I didn't have to wait for one to be
overnighted in. They were a $10,000 item, so they weren't just laying
around. Made me a hero several times with the customers, but had to be
careful the bean counters didn't know I had one.

Just Geezer rambling...