[Rovernet] Rover 3500 SD1 - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

Glen R Wilson gwilson at quakertech.net
Mon Jun 29 17:31:12 EDT 2020

On 6/29/20 5:09 PM, Jess Rainey via Rovernet wrote:
> I believe the 1,181 figure is correct for all of North America. Forty to fifty percent of the NAS SD1s went to Canada if I remember correctly.
That makes sense. The number sold in the USA was in the mid-800s
according to one book. I think that would possibly be based on records
of cars actually registered for the road. I remember hearing stories of
lots of them sitting on railroad cars at the end in the USA. I think
they were priced about $400 less than the Jaguar XJ6 saloons being
marketed by the same corporation which leads one to think that the
corporate intention was to kill off the sale of Rovers in the USA once
and for all, a conspiracy theory that's not hard to believe. I think
your basic SD1 in USA trim sold for just under $14,000 in 1980, and that
was a tough market to be in if you were selling a somewhat
unconventional car.