[Rovernet] part number for early Rover V8 camshaft

dmesuter at rochester.rr.com dmesuter at rochester.rr.com
Fri Apr 2 19:08:52 EDT 2021

Hello everyone,Greetings from upstate New York.
I am in the midst of rebuilding the 1973 Rover engine that was
factory-fitted to my MGBGT V8. The factory V8s used an 8.25:1
compression ratio.
As expected, the camshaft and lifters on my 68K mile engine have
issues and will be replaced. I would like to replace the camshaft with
one as close to the original specifications as possible (no desire for
a non-stock performance cam in this restoration).
I have ordered a number of engine parts from Rimmer Bros. in the UK.
However, their website (and technical online 'chat' person) indicated
that there were different cams for low compression engines (< 8.5:1)
versus the high compression engines. I was under the impression (must
have read it somewhere) that all the pre-SD1 cams to all versions of
the Rover V8 were the same specification --thus including the 10.5:1
P6Bs, the 9.25:1 P6Bs through all the low compression Range Rovers,
etc.
Does anyone know actual part numbers or can point me to a reliable
reference?
Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Best regards,Dan