[Rovernet] Rovernet History

Alan Francis partviking1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 03:28:59 EST 2021

Hi Everyone,

I hope you will forgive me from bombing the list but I would like to try
and write a feature on Rovernet and it's history for the Rover P6 Club
Magazine "Driving Force" which I have just volunteered to edit.

I have emailed Vern Klukas who has kindly let me use some or all of the
history listed on the RCCC but I am sure many of you will have personal
recollections or anecdotes from situations and events that have arisen over
the last 25 years as a result of being on this list. I was lucky enough to
get online in the late 1990's and quickly found Rovernet. It was refreshing
to find so many people with a like minded interest in old Rovers and
enjoyable to be involved in the discussions over the years. I certainly
learnt a lot. In many ways Rovernet is a trailblazer, I am not aware of any
other discussion forums at that time and whilst there are several around
now it's easy to forget at one time there was only Rovernet. It attracted a
worldwide audience because it was unique.

Sadly Eric Russell, who I believe was a founder or co-founder is no longer
with us but there are still many names from the early days, I see my old
sparring partner Glen Wilson is still posting. Hi Glen. Does anyone have
any contact with Kent Kinard? I would love to use some of the pictures of
his collection of parts cars but would like his permission first. Also Ben
Rodgers from PEI who was a regular contributor in the early days but has
not posted recently. I'm sure many other names will be known to me and mine
to them so forgive me if i don't repeat them all.

I'm mindful of clogging up the list so feel free to email me directly on [
partviking1atgmail.com] with any contributions you may wish to make, in
essence I'm looking for:

1. Any insights into the early years not covered on the RCCC
2. Any personal insights into your own involvement, knowledge learnt, cars
purchased, perhaps disagreements that arose, I know I certainly struggled
with this new medium that felt like conversation but              most
definitely wasn't, the lack of body language did have the effect of
changing what one typed from it's intended aim. I am certainly much wiser
now.
3. Any shows you attended involving a long trip (I suspect any trip to a
show in the US/Canada is a long one) or events on that trip.
4. Anything else you think might be of interest to UK residents relating to
being a NADA area Rover enthusiast even if it is not directly related to
Rovernet.

Thank you for taking the trouble to read this post and in anticipation of
your contributions, I will keep you posted on the article as it develops, I
believe the history of this site  is worthy of telling and I hope I can do
it justice.

May I wish you all a very Happy Christmas and New Year, our world is
certainly living through difficult and uncertain times.

My best regards

Alan Francis (partviking)