[Rovernet] Sterling advice sought

magnet at ican.net magnet at ican.net
Wed Jan 19 18:24:20 EST 2022

I bought a 1987 Sterling 825S new, and still have it.  It has covered
about 300,000 miles and on the whole it has been a good car.  The
Honda-sourced engine burns a bit of oil now, and leaks quite a bit more
-- difficult to see where from.  I replaced the timing belt at about
160,000 miles, not because it needed it, but out of "an abundance of
caution" as the current saying has it. Replaced the clutch at about
70,000 miles, and the CV joints at 100,000 (they need it again).
5-speed gearbox has been trouble-free.  It was my daily driver for about
15 years.

Spots prone to rusting are the back edges of the rear wheel arches, and
the inside of the rear wheel wells.  The body metal isn't as thick as on
the older classic Rovers, and road salt is an enemy to be avoided as
much as possible.

A lot of the electrics gave bother early on in the car's life, and
despite the tired old anecdotes about the Prince of Darkness, all of the
culprits were of non-Lucas (and in fact non-British) manufacture: the
Japanese heater controls, the Japanese main ignition relay, and the
Italian speedometer, for example.

I had one rear door handle break -- my own fault, the door was frozen
shut and I pulled too hard for the brittle plastic.  The seat belt and
hood latch problems sound as if they would yield to a bit of judicious
lubrication. A dose of WD-40 all along the Bowden cable that works the
hood latch, and some lithium grease on the latch itself worked for me.
Can't comment on the seat, mine are manually adjusted.

The engine has always had a shortage of bottom-end torque, but still
pulls quite well above 2500 RPM.

It's getting harder to get replacement parts for this car, the shock
absorbers, for example.  A lot of, but not all, drive train components
were common with the Acura Legend, but now even these are getting
scarce.  Most of the chassis and all of the body components were not
shared with the Legend.

I always liked the looks of the 800 series, and still do.  It's still
the "baby" of my three Rovers, and as such it seems rather amusing when
people come up and and ask "Hey, what a classy old car -- what is it?"
But at least thety don't say "Wow, my grand-dad had one of these," as
they do for my Rover 90.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

  -- Bill Daddis