[Rovernet] P6 dies after 20 minutes

Steven Dibdin sdibdin at gmail.com
Wed May 18 12:33:01 EDT 2022

Check for spark first. If no spark check following:

[1] Feel coil, does it feel too hot to touch? Take off low tension wires
and measure across terminals with ohmmeter. It should read 1.5-3ohms. Full
short and it's dead, infinite ohms and it's also dead.
[2] I've seen ballast resistors fail this way too (work for a while then
die). When car fails to start, measure resistance from wire coming from
distributor to coil via tacho inside car. I believe its white with a black
trace. If you see infinite ohms, ballast resistor is dead. Unfortunately
that's built into the wiring harness inside the dash. Easiest solution is
to run a new wire with an external ballast resistor of still using
conventional ignition.
[3] Have you changed the condenser recently? Modern ones have real problems
with quality control and frequently fail shortly after fitting. You might
want to upgrade to an electronic system such as pertronix, Accuspark or, my
favorite magnatronic
http://autocar-electrical.co.uk/lumenition-range/magnetronic-product-guide

If you do have a spark, suspect no fuel. I had a problem where ethanol had
attacked the rubber diaphragm inside the fuel pump. It only manifested
itself when the car was warm and started as a small misfire until one day
it died completely. Also check fuel line routing, heat can cause vapour
lock, especially with ethanol based fuels due to their lower boiling point.

Hope the above helps and good luck!

Steven