[Rovernet] Is anybody out there?

Glen R. Wilson glenrwilson at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 12:16:40 EDT 2023

On 6/2/23 6:46 PM, Lance La Certe via Rovernet wrote:

> O.k.,  I'll bite
>
>  1. First off, it's bonnet "louvres", because that's what they called
>     them in France 😂🤣😉
>  2. The North American model was a NADA (North American Dollar Area)
>     only in the United States.   Since Mexico is part of North
>     America, they refused to be beholding to the North American
>     Dollar, and called their Rovers "Federales"🤫🤑🙃
> 3.
>     Dirk Burrowes was interviewed for a Hemmings article
>     (https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1976-87-rover-sd1-3500
>     <https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1976-87-rover-sd1-3500>),
>     opining it was the SD1.    I'll step out further on a limb to
>     irritate others on the forum, and hopefully foment a raging online
>     discusion, by telling you the real meaning of "SD1".   It was code
>     for: "Sadly Disasterous One"
>
> Let the games begin!
>
> Lance

1. I went back and forth about whether to spell it as you suggest but
was influenced by the spellchecker to be conventional. I remember
selling a set to a guy in Australia for $100 plus shipping.

2. Your right about Mexico, but I was only aware of them being imported
to the USA and Canada with leftovers going to the Low Countries (bad
moniker, that). Truth is that this 3500S was intentionally designed for
the USA market and Canada got them the same way they got Pontiacs on
Chevy chassis with Canadian names on them. Hence the need to meet U.S.
Federal safety regulations (bars in doors) and power windows. For that
reason, I stick with Taylor in calling them Federal 3500S. The NADA was
the 2000TC with the blue sail panels. I know that people now criticize
the Taylor book and call it inaccurate, but when I first bought P6s, it
was really the only reference and the Bible of the P6.

3. I'd also go with the SD1 being the last real Rover because Rover
people designed and styled it. I had one and always liked it even though
it was an early U.S. model with absolutely terrible build quality. It
performed wonderfully for such a large car, better than my MGB in the
corners. Later SD1s sold in the UK were a huge step forward in refining
what was at its heart a good design. I remain impressed by what these
guys managed to get into production given all of the monetary and design
constraints put onto them by their corporate overlords. Producing this
car on that budget is almost as clever as coming up with the much more
complicated and interesting P6. And you could work on the rear brakes...

(The "real" question might be whether or not the TR7 was a real Triumph.
I'd say no.)