<div dir="ltr">Well, since you were hearing the click - that is the solenoid &#39;throwing&#39;, and you report that the moror is vigerous when it did run, that suggests the motor is also &#39;fine&#39;.....The bit that wasnt working were the contactors which the solenoid throws together to allow the high demand the motor requires. There have been multiple suppliers of Rover V8 starter&#39;s over the years. Each with their own contactors - which I think can all be replaced with ease when disassembling. Suspect you may want to identify the motor assy manufacturer to determine who supplies the contactors. </div><br><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, 15 Sept 2026 at 20:41, magnet--- via Rovernet &lt;<a href="mailto:rovernet@rovernet.org">rovernet@rovernet.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Hello Rovernetters,<br>
<br>
It has been very quiet recently on the Rovernet... maybe this will <br>
&quot;start&quot; some comment.<br>
<br>
A couple of weeks ago we were planning a road trip -- about 500 miles -- <br>
in my 1970 3500S.  Checked all the fluids, tyres, etc. and she seemed <br>
ready to go when two days prior to  departure, an intermittent fault <br>
developed in the starter.  You really don&#39;t want this sort of thing when <br>
you&#39;re travelling on holiday, so I decided to replace the starter with a <br>
spare unit.  This solved the problem and the car performed faultlessly <br>
on the trip.<br>
<br>
Now that I&#39;m home again, I thought I&#39;d see what was amiss with the old <br>
starter.  Before I took it out of the car, when it did work -- perhaps <br>
on every 3rd attempt --   it worked OK, turned the engine over with <br>
enthusiasm.  But then on other tries all it gave was a loud click, and <br>
judging from the effect on headlight brightness, it did not appear that <br>
power was being supplied to the actual starter motor.  I suspect the <br>
solenoid, but have not as yet done any real diagnostics.<br>
<br>
Well, the point of my message is this:  Has anyone had any experience <br>
with alternative replacement starters for the P6 V-8? Particularly with <br>
the starter for the pre-1994 Range Rover?  When I had my &#39;93 RR, I once <br>
had to replace the starter, and it was easy enough to get hold of one.  <br>
Unfortunately I never looked into this interchangeability issue at the <br>
time.<br>
<br>
Questions: is the cut-out for the pinion on the nose piece in the same <br>
angular position relative to the mounting bolts?  Is the mounting bolt <br>
spacing the same?  I recall the position of the solenoid was different, <br>
not sure if this posed a problem.  The RR&#39;s engine was basically the <br>
same as that in the P6B, so I shouldn&#39;t think there would be much <br>
difference in the starters. What about MGB V-8, other cars using the <br>
same engine?<br>
<br>
Any information most gratefully received!<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
  -- Bill Daddis<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
Rovernet mailing list<br>
<a href="mailto:Rovernet@rovernet.org" target="_blank">Rovernet@rovernet.org</a><br>
<a href="http://rovernet.org/mailman/listinfo/rovernet_rovernet.org" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://rovernet.org/mailman/listinfo/rovernet_rovernet.org</a><br>
</blockquote></div><div><br clear="all"></div><div><br></div><span class="gmail_signature_prefix">-- </span><br><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr">Roland Drew<div>R2D Engineering</div></div></div>