[Rovernet] 1970 3500S NAADA original

Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton smokeandsteam at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 21:27:49 EST 2013

Have you ever stripped out the complete P6 rear suspension ?? It IS Heavy
> and is  not a  particularly clever piece of engineering

Yes but still less awkward than a fighting a  live axle and leaf springs
which were the norm at the time the car was developed

Like it or not the NASA v8 engine IS gutless, this combined with the
> incredible weight of the P6  does not produce a performance car

Gutless compared to what? It was never intended to be a performance car,
but a relaxed long distance tourer,  though it did have rather more go than
most  British saloons of the period. If you have ever driven a 6 cylinder
Wolseley or  P5, you will appreciate that off the line performance wasn't
the market these cars were expected to meet.

> The P6B was the last hurrah of a long serving team of ROVER engineers ,
>  the Leyland bean counters weren't let loose until the SDI was born .

BL started their shenanigans quite early the car was Rover but BL bean
counters were at it they day the ink was signed on the deal.

However I think we also need to recognise the  spirit of the sixties and
early seventies; Formica and plastic upholstery were seen as being modern
and up-to-date materials   - some Jaguars also got the Ambla treatment,
though not Formica . Remember that folks were also buying purple polyester
flared trousers and orangey-coloured vinyl covered briefcases as well.
Dreadfully tacky now, but fashionable at the time the cars were built,
 along with open necked shirts with enormously wide collars, silly
sideburns, chest hair and gold medallions.

Aidrian