[Rovernet] Rover 2000 Clutch

Alan Francis partviking1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 02:47:58 EDT 2013

Dermot,

The reason for removing the rocker cover (and the fan blade) is to allow
the engine to tip back further. The top of the engine at the back is very
close to the bulkhead and quickly fouls it. I believe others claim it can
be done with the rocker/fan in situ but personally for the sake of another
5-10 mins to remove them I always do.

You are quite correct on alignment being easier with both out, the last
thing you want with the gearbox sitting in your lap is not to be able to
push it home to the back of the engine.

With this in mind, many years ago I scrapped an old gearbox and removed the
front input shaft thus ensuring a perfect clutch alignment every time! ;)

Good luck with it, the need to remove BOTH servos (boosters) and re-bleed
would be enough to convince me to leave the engine where it is.

Regards

Alan Francis (partviking)

Hi Rovernetters!

Wow, what a treasure trove of info out there! Thanks all of you for your
suggestions.
Funny that in an otherwise excellent shop manual there is no mention of
getting at the clutch to replace it.
I think I'm going to go the 'engine stays in route' as I am still
reasonably strong and I seem to remember the gearbox is fairly light. The
best reason for removing the whole lump is that its much easier to reattach
the gearbox after replacing the clutch. However, going into the braking
system to remove a servo necessitates bleeding the system which is a bit of
a pain
Not sure, Alan, why you would want to remove the rocker cover.
I do have a chain hoist, so I might use this to lift the front of the
engine. Alas, no pit. American are very paranoid about pits, though I think
they're still pretty popular in the UK.
Gotta get another car on the road before I start the job - then I'll let
you know how I get on.

Dermot Harvey