[Rovernet] 2000 Clutch

Juliet Keiler lingfield51 at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 24 06:17:42 EDT 2013

Hi Dermot,

If you have no lift then pulling the transmission from beneath is quite straightforward and the procedure is as follows.

In the engine bay remove the top hose, heater hoses, front stabiliser bar, carb linkage between carb & bulkhead. Loosen the engine mount nuts to the end of the thread but do NOT remove.

Opinion varies but I also remove the rocker cover and fan blades.

Beneath the car disconnect propshaft, gear lever linkage and gearbox mounting cross-bar & spring mount, reverse switch wires and speedo cable.

Again opinion varies but I also remove the exhaust.

You then jack under the front of the engine thus raising it and lowering the back, I usually get it to a position where the sump is ‘resting’ in the front x-member.

You then split the bell housing from the engine (in practice it may be easier to remove most of the bolts prior to tipping it back) and once separated spin the gearbox until the starter motor ‘bulge’ in the bell-housing (which prevents it being pulled straight back) is at the top in the tunnel, once up there you’ll find it has enough room to pull back and away.

Depending on your physical strength the box is either very heavy or quite light. I did my 1964 2000 car last Sunday and it took me about 4 hours from start to finish though I had already drained the water previously. The real key is to get the car high enough both front and back so you have room to work, if you have a pit the whole job is considerably easier.

Good luck and any questions please let me know and I’ll try and help.

Best Regards

Alan Francis (partviking)

P.S. Not sure if the second servo will cause a problem as I only have the one but there should be enough room to tip back even with two