[Rovernet] Another set of rare bits required.

Fletcher Millmore via Rovernet rovernet at rovernet.org
Fri May 23 01:50:44 EDT 2014

The bulb supplies the excitation current for the alt to start working,
which is why it stops charging if the bulb goes. But, the bulb only
blows if there is a bad diode in the alt, which causes voltage to go way
high. The bulb gets real bright before it blows. So, the bulb is a sort
of fuse - you have a defective but not totally fried alt.  Some systems
(GM I think) use a resistor in parallel to the bulb to supply the
current even if the bulb fails, but you lose the safety aspect. I had an
Austin America with this problem (and no money for an alt), and as long
as I kept it under 6000 rpm, the bulb - and the headlights - would be
bright, over 6000 pop! Got really good at changing the bulb along the
road in the dark.

Some alts will charge without the excitation current, as there is enough
residual magnetism to get things started once the engine is going fast
enough, after which it keeps charging even when the engine speed drops.
We used to get that on Delco alts replacing other things (because we did
not know how to wire it correctly)- once you punched it up to 3500 it
would work and put the light out. All depends on the fine detail of the
alt/reg circuitry.

If the bulb NEVER lights, even when you turn the key on, it or some
wiring is dead. The alt should supply enough power at idle that the
light does not come on with engine running, even with low battery.

FRM