[Rovernet] P6B final gearing

Kent Kinard kkinard at att.net
Mon Mar 2 19:20:47 EST 2015

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.  I have lots of 2000 diffs
but do not feel comfortable recommending 2000 gears in a 3500 case.  The
2200 gears (yes 3.54:1) in a 3500 will work.  I assume that 2000 and
2200 gears are different part numbers?  All my parts books are out at
the shop.  The 2200 case is identical to the 3500 case. But a gear swap
will still require professional set up.  It might be cheaper in the long
run to import a center section from the UK.   Seems like we had this
discussion years ago.    Spider gears are definitely the weak point but
probably because of case/carrier flex?  Jonathan just wants to feel
comfortable starting uphill from a dead stop in San Francisco.  Given
his residence and driving habits, I think 3.54:1 gears would be
satisfying.  If the situation were reversed, if he had a 2200 and lived
in the flatlands, 3.08 would be an easy swap and a good choice.

Roveringandpinionly,
Kent K.