[Rovernet] Rear Main engine seal issue

Kent Kinard kkinard at att.net
Sun Jan 17 22:11:22 EST 2016

Glenn Malme via Rovernet wrote:
> John
> I have always been reasonably successful replacing just the lower half of
> the rope seal that fits into the bearing block. You mentioned doing this
> but with too negative of a slant.
John, Geff, Glenn, et al:
As John mentioned, we have been back and forth on this for some time.
Part of John's problem is that he is unable to do any of the work
himself and his mechanic, a long time British car professional who has
had a great deal of experience in this area, is the one who is
pessimistic and has warned John that any half-way measures may not work.
He is the one who will have the come-back if the new seal is not
effective.  He will not stand behind any "half-way" measures.  John
cannot afford to pay for the full engine rebuild that would include
machine work to install an SD1 rear crank seal. He already has a ton of
money in his car which is his only daily transportation.

We have just been through this identical issue with Greg G's P6B. Greg
opted to replace his engine with a low mileage SD1 engine, but John
doesn't have that option.

I would support Glenn's solution, which I mentioned to John previously
(provided one of Pierre's OEM type asbestos seals is used).  It is the
only alternative which offers improvement and which John can afford.
Convincing John's mechanic to do this will be hard, to say the least.
John is really in a very difficult position because he is receiving
contradictory advise and freely admits he is not technical.

Roverly,
Kent K.