[Rovernet] SD1 stuck emergency brake

Robert Heimerl robertime4 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 12:25:28 EDT 2018

Hi Geff,

Hope all's well with you and that your SD1 isn't being too troublesome.  I
have two SD1's and seem to manage, but would honestly prefer to have only
one.

In the past, when the emergency brake seemed to be sticking on these cars
it was usually due to one of the rear wheel cylinders going bad (typically
from sitting, as these cars frequently do).  That makes the brake shoes
drag --- if they're leaking seriously enough you'll see the fluid running
down the inside of the tire.  And as Steven points out, it's sometimes due
to the cable or the levers sticking, but I've had two spare cables in my
basement for years because it always turned out to be the wheel cylinders
that were the source of the problem.  Because they're mounted at the
trailing side of the backing plate (rather than the top), they always get
fluid on the bottom brake shoe when they start to leak and eventually
they'll swell up, making it seem that the emergency brake isn't fully
released   [Of course when this scenario occurs you'll find that the brake
drum(and wheel) will become hot to the touch after driving a relatively
short distance.]

If it is indeed the cable -- or other possibilities mentioned above -- one
thing to do if you know the car will be standing for extended periods is to
simply put it in gear and/or block the wheels rather than pulling the
handbrake on.   Finally, I use DOT 3 fluid rather than 4 or synthetic.  The
newer type fluids don't seem to agree with the seals in these older
components.

Hope this is of some help.  I'll try to attach a photo of the two Turmeric
Rover SD1's together -- but if IIRC photos can't be posted on Rovernet.

Robert H.