[Rovernet] 3500s brake saga

Peter King peter at king-co.com
Mon Aug 3 12:46:57 EDT 2020

I Rovernetters. I’ve posted this on the Federal Rovers group on Facebook, so if you are on there this is repetitive.

I have been trouble shooting problems with my 71 3500s brakes. I’ve installed a new master cylinder, rebuilt the servo, replaced the flexible lines, tested all the vacuum lines for leaks, replaced the check valve at the servo and both seals, rebuilt the servo 3 times. Flushed and bled the lines multiple times, following the procedure of both rear and front left side together, then right side, then close up the rear. All bleeding done into jars of fluid.

When I start the car cold, I have equal vacuum pressure on both sides of the servo. Brakes work well, hold and release when the pedal is depressed.  BUT, what seems to be happening is that as the engine heats up, pressure builds in the system and the master cylinder air valve gets forced open. No spring would be strong enough to compress it. As a result, the vacuum from the master gets weaker, as air is let into the servo. And the brakes seize.

So the questions is, what could be causing this? The master is new, so unless it arrived faulty I am not suspecting it. yet. I've replaced the flexible lines. I get fluid bleeding fine through all 3 bleeders. I do have a kink in the master fluid reservoir inlet line... could it be preventing the master to recover quickly, and therefore cause a lock? could it be that as the fluid heats up,  it has no place to expand (back to the reservoir--I don't know if it does this normally)  and is causing the lock? What else am I not thinking of?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Peter

Peter King + Company
10 Derby Square