[Rovernet] Engine ancestry

Glen R. Wilson gwilson at quakertech.net
Tue Dec 13 14:52:56 EST 2022

On 12/13/22 12:43 PM, Lance La Certe via Rovernet wrote:
> Not sure if this was previously posted, but this appears to be a
> fastidiously researched article.
>
> https://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histories/buick-special-skylark-rover-v8-3800-v6-history/
> <https://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histories/buick-special-skylark-rover-v8-3800-v6-history/>

"Although it shared a variation of the Corvair body shell, the Special
looked nothing like its Chevrolet cousin and was somewhat larger,
stretching 8.4 inches (213 mm) longer overall on a 4-inch (101-mm)
longer wheelbase."

It seems a "stretch" to say that the Buick Special and the Covair shared
a unibody platform when one was rear-engined and the other was
front-engined.

I own a 1964 Corvair Monza sedan, and it has to be lower than a Ford
GT40. It's also physically smaller than a 1998 Volvo V70 (or any Volvo
850). Not too surprising that while GM marketed the Corvair as a compact
family car, people were buying them because they were sporty. That
quickly led to the introduction of the Chevy II, a more conventional
car. The Corvair remained in production for 10 years.

https://ateupwithmotor.com/contentfiles/uploads/1963_Buick_Skylark_front3q.jpg

There's a '65 Corvair in my town with an Olds 215 mounted in a
mid-engine configuration (no back seat, good weight distribution). The
Olds version was the one Brabham and Repco used in F1 and is preferred
for performance because of the way the cylinder heads bolt to the block
in a more robust manner.

Overall, a very good article. I'm just a bit taken aback by the notion
that the Corvair was related to these bigger cars despite the fact that
they were contemporaries under the GM umbrella.