[Rovernet] Engine ancestry

Glen R. Wilson gwilson at quakertech.net
Tue Dec 13 19:34:11 EST 2022

Lance,

Regarding picking nits...

https://i.imgur.com/iJnzFUb.jpg

This drawing certainly looks similar to the Corvair "envelope" slightly
enlarged.

Someone on the Corvair list sent me the above photo of the Pontiac
Tempest with the trans in a "transaxle" configuration. It's basically
the early model Corvair independent rear suspension with a Corvair
Powerglide automatic trans back there. The brand name of the trans was
Tempest Torque, but his car had the word Powerglide in the casting.

I'm not sure which engine is shown in that drawing, but the V8 could
have just as easily been up there. The Corvair version of the Powerglide
was pretty robust and was fine with the 150 hp 4-carb version of the
flat six. I think the turbocharged Corvairs always came with either a
3-speed or the 4-speed manual because they went up to 180 hp. Mine is a
2-carb 110 hp Powerglide car with 40k original miles. Two carbs is
plenty, believe me. I loved my Rover 95 with the single carb.

Glen