[Rovernet] Brake cylinder sleeving / P6 rear calipers

Steve Manwell sman_mail at comcast.net
Tue Jun 28 18:05:47 EDT 2022

I have also had a recommendation to use Brake and Equipment Warehouse
for brake cylinder sleeving from a trusted source in the Franklin car
club.  His contact there is Rob.

I have not tried them yet myself.  I'm sure they are fully capable of
boring out and sleeving the hydraulic cylinder in a disassembled P6 rear
caliper, but I don't know if they would want to get into disassembly and
then rebuilding after sleeving.

Another alternative would be to buy a pair of sleeved and rebuilt rear
calipers from one of the UK P6 parts vendors such as MGBD, Wadhams or
Wins.  A US option might be Apple Hydraulic in New York State -- they do
sleeving and rebuilding of a range of British and other cylinders.

Some other background on this is that a leak from the hydraulic cylinder
in a P6 rear caliper will leak into the dust cover and eventually leak
out of that.  (The piston that pushes on the brake pad is mechanical;
there is no brake fluid behind this piston.) There are also numerous
brake hose and brake pipe connections associated with the rear calipers,
so make sure the leak is not from one of these fittings before
rebuilding the caliper again.

--Steve