[Rovernet] eBay

Michael Pellow mp349 at xtra.co.nz
Sun May 29 22:12:15 EDT 2022

Our club went to an engineering workshop one night where he showed us
some of the things he was doing with computer controlled fuel injection
systems on the Australian ford V8s .How they had duel programming that
would change the mixtures depending how they were being driven,Leaner
when driven quietly ,richer when driven hard so they wouldn’t damage the
engines . with gas analysers and  external remote control showing how
this was done and what could be achieved. There was an  SD1 with the
stromberg carbs there .I asked him what the difference was  between them
and the SUs
He said " Half the price, slightly better emission control "
Performance wise . The SUs were better below 4000 revs. best all round
up to 200BHP.
    My early SD1 had stepper controlled SUs  which were still working
,Started well good idle that when it was warm was around 600 as the
steppers adjusted idle speed when in gear air-con on etc keeping it
constant.
Unfortunately I couldn’t keep up with the rust