[Rovernet] British barn find - incredible survivor V8 Rover SD1 Vitesse - YouTube

Glen R. Wilson gwilson at quakertech.net
Sat Nov 26 10:18:27 EST 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xexTiqiDSZY

What a nice example.

So sad that we never got these updated second series SD1s in the USA.

Brought back nice memories of my SD1. What a great driving and practical
vehicle this was. With the back seat down and with that hatch, it was
like an estate. Build quality and interior materials of what we got in
the USA in 1980 were atrocious. These later cars were a real upgrade.

Still, a great driving car. I always thought it felt as light and
tossable as an MGB but was really planted on the ground. When I got it,
there was a Holley 390 on it which tended to only work well at full
throttle, but boy did it scoot. 5-speed manual. I replaced it with a
very tractable and simple to adjust Weber which was a wonderful
appliance but didn't deliver that punch.

I towed a white automatic parts car all the way from south of Richmond,
VA to Philadelphia and stripped it of all its parts. By the time it was
just a unibody on 4x4 timbers, I decided that I should have gone the
other way and used the parts car as the keeper since it had zero rust.
Removed the engine in my driveway by releasing the front subframe and
jacking the body up in stages with 4x4 blocks until I could pull the
engine forward and out. One of the hairier things I ever did, but it
worked and no one was killed.

My wife actually used this SD1 as a daily driver to commute back and
forth to work. She actually liked it and enjoyed all the questions and
comments she got.