[Rovernet] Diagnostic Help Redux

Michael Pellow mp349 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Feb 11 18:22:04 EST 2015

On 12/02/2015 11:32 a.m., LANCE LA CERTE PSY D via Rovernet wrote:
> First I want to let everyone know how much I appreciate the input and support----what a great group you all are!!!!
> Wanted to clarify something about the calipers.   I am 'assuming' the right rear disc was hot and appropriately so because I had just come back from a test drive to try to figure out the clunking.  I immediately put the car up on the lift and started 'feeling' around.  I would expect the disc to be hot and was surprised the the left disc was completely cold, leading me to believe the caliper was not working on that side.
> With the car on the lift, I put the rear end up on jack stands (right after the test drive), the entire drive train moved freely----no indication that the right caliper was still gripping the disc and therefore creating any drag while I was driving.
> If I'm totally wrong or missing something in this explanation, please, anyone, let me know.
> Thanks  again,  Lance
>
> Lance La Certe, Psy.D.
> It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.

as the wheels are free my first suggestion of a blocked brake hose
wouldnt apply.
The front bolt on the torque tube is a very good place to start for the
thumping ,also check the mount itself as it can break down.

the left calliper does sound like the adjuster mechanism.
it has either frozen or more likely when the callipers were put back,the
pin has dropped into the actuation leaver's grove. this can happen when
you are putting the calliper back in the car.when putting put the big
hex nut on the end of the calliper pivot pin usually the end stop screw
is removed and the handbrake actuation leaver is rotated the allow a
socket to tighten it up.Unfortunately if the actuation leaver comes out
more that a half inch ,the internal pin that operates the brake
mechanism drops sideways into the grove on the leavers shaft and there
is no other way to fix it but pull the calliper appart.
I know mutter mutter
to confirm this has happened see how far the leaver rotates when the
hand brake has been applied compared to the RH side
I hope this makes sense