[Rovernet] Glass roof

gjkzscruggs at verizon.net gjkzscruggs at verizon.net
Fri Dec 24 20:10:01 EST 2021

Please remember that Kent bought the majority of his Rover holdings from the estate of Ron Jones of San Antonio, Tx.  Ron started his Rover experience in the ‘60s and collected all the parts cars that Kent subsequently owned.   I have pictures of about 100 parts cars in a field outside Marion, Texas, where Ron had them stored.  Ron had a glass roofed car, I saw in the mid-80s, which he claimed was from the New York Auto Show and said it was quite an experience driving through a lightning storm.  I started corresponding with Ron in about ’76 and spent a few weeks with him in the mid-80s.  Kent said that Ron died in about ’07.  Ron tried to obtain another glass roof from the manufacturer but they denied having made them.  He believed there were only two or three such glass roof cars.

Ron Jones was a very intelligent fellow.  He dropped out of school in the 9th grade as there was nothing left for him to learn.  He spent a few years in the US Air Force as a mechanic during Viet Nam.  He ended up with a repair shop in San Antonio and discovered Rovers the restoration of which became his life’s work.  Ron eventually became a victim of cocaine addiction and ejected everyone around him.  He was a master mechanic and automotive visionary until his drug obsession overcame him.  He was a memorable fellow.

Gross Scruggs

Annapolis MD